Friday, January 26, 2007

Student Hurricane Network - Spring Break Trip

Although school is as busy as ever, I wanted to post some information about a trip I am organizing over spring break (March 17 - 24). Nine of my classmates will be accompanying me to the MS Gulf Coast and we will be doing volunteer legal work in conjuction with the Student Hurricane Network (an organization founded by a Tulane Law Student in response to Hurricane Katrina). As you may or may not know, my parents lost the home they were building in Waveland, MS as well as the furninshings in their apartment in Bay St. Louis, MS and everything else that was stored in Pass Christian. My father's aunt and cousins also lost everything. The home my grandparents were building was also destroyed. While my parents and grandparents decided not to return to the Gulf Coast, my other relatives are on the long road to rebuilding.

We will be working directly with the Mississippi Center for Justice and I know the work will be enormously rewarding for all of us. One of the students, Kristina da Fonseca, has set up a website for the trip and there is a link on the site with information about how you can donate money to help cover our costs. You can either use the PayPal option (which is not tax deductible), or mail a check to the address on the site (which is tax deductible). If you would like to help out, go to http://www.freewebs.com/wneclawshn/ We are hoping to raise $3,500 by the end of February.

I will post updates and pictures before, during, and after the trip. If you would like to see pictures and read my parents story, please go to www.schlatter.org

Thank you for your support.

No comments: