Friday, January 19, 2007

Long Time...No Blog

It has been such a long time since I posted anything and the last several months have more than challenging. Things seemed to be looking up for the family and I made my way back to New England for my last year of law school. But the reprieve would only last a few days. At the beginning of August, my grandmother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and the prognosis was not good. This news came only 8 months after my grandfather had passed away.

Growing up I never really thought about what it would feel like to not have my grandparents around.

My maternal grandmother lived near where I went to undergrad and I can remember going to her house for a tomato sandwich and sweet tea. It is from her that I learned to appreciate the art of quilting, how to can peaches, and the beauty of a garden of irises. She passed away several years ago after a long battle with Alzheimer's.

My paternal grandfather taught us an appreciation for duct tape (it really can be used to fix anything!), how to roast marshmallows by making a small fire in the upside down lid of a metal trashcan, and how to catch fireflies. My paternal grandmother has shown me the art of gardening (which all Southern women must know), the importance of family, and the meaning of the golden rule.

I think that growing up in a military family made me appreciate the time with my grandparents more because there were times (while overseas) that we didn't get to see them for extended periods of time. Our summers in AL and TN were always exciting, special, and full of love.

No comments: